If you live your life in any way, shape or form that resembles mine, you are a giver. You constantly are trying to console, advise or listen to those around you and sometimes you completely forget about the person who might need all of those things the most- you.
It’s not that we don’t love being there for others because believe me, it’s built into our DNA. However, I have been told quite a few times that I should just take a breather and focus a bit on what I want out of life and begin to do certain things just for me.
We have our dreams but are we doing anything to get us there? We have the ideal person we imagine ourselves to be but you will never be that person unless you start to work at it right NOW.
So here are a few simple things you can do to start the “Spoil Yourself Project”. Simply because I keep forgetting to do things that will make me a happier person. Therefore if I write them down and PLAN them, I do it and take that step closer to the person I want to become. YOU should too.
HERE WE GO:
1. Make a list of 10 things you love to do or things that make you happy. You can write down everything from painting your nails to laying in bed with the Christmas lights on and candles lit. Make it endless. Do you love walks by the river? Reading books? Make a giant list of what you love that makes you happy. Start with ten, explode to 100 if you can.
2. Do you have a planner? Schedule a self-love moment for EVERY day of the week. That’s right, you should be doing something for yourself every single day. Write it down so you can cross it off and feel good about accomplishing something simply for YOU that day. Maybe even just schedule a time you want to do something for yourself and then take a look at your list and choose. It’s truly up to you. That way you know you have dedicated moments to yourself during the week.
3. When you are doing whatever task you want, make sure you relish in the moment aka BE PRESENT. Don’t treat your time like a chore because it will defeat the entire purpose of spoiling yourself. Now is the time to focus on YOU and it’s important to appreciate the small joys that are a part of your being. If you decided to cook a meal, do it slowly. Relish in the smells and sizzle of cooking up something yummy. If you’re in a bubble bath, don’t set a timer or bring in your phone- just note how your body feels in the water and the scent of the bubble bath you dumped in.
4. Say NO and wipe away the guilt! There are endless tasks you could accomplish in a day- it’s true. Try to find balance with it. Just because your friend wants you to get wings with them doesn’t mean you have to. If you don’t want to do something, simply tell them you need space for the evening. They will understand. If you have been on the go, it is important to say no when you need mental clarity and rest. Exercise “no” and it will become easier to express that need to others.
5. Exercise. That’s right- MOVE. I don’t care if it’s a dance party in your living room or a scheduled marathon training. Have you ever regretted a workout? No, because even if you are tired, you always feel good afterwords. You feel stronger and healthy. Have you ever noticed your confidence level when you workout at least three times a week versus nothing at all? Exercise releases feel-good chemicals that will make you feel better. So get out and move.
Treat yourself. I will preach it again and again because it is SO important. You need to be your own best friend. You need to love yourself. You need to take care of yourself.
WAIT, a newsletter?
Subscribe to get the latest content by email including love letters from yours truly, travel stories, freebies and MORE.